Wiki Billing Manager and deadlines

encomma-watson

Networker
Best answers
I have a practice administrator who has an opinion that the billing office has deadlines and from what I know, in billing, there are no deadlines. For example, if you get commercial payments, or medicaid or medicare payments, posting should be done within 48 hours (2 days) or denials should be done within 5 days. How should I approach the manager letting her know that in billing there are no deadlines except that there are thing for timely filing?

In my opinion, the more timely you are in posting your payments (checks from payers do have expiration dates), handling your denials (to reduce your days in AR), and posting charges as soon as possible, the more you will contribute to improving your revenue cycle.

There may be no regulatory guidance in terms of 'deadlines', but I think that the practice administrator (rightfully) wants the accounts up-to-date. I'd do what I could to make that happen.

I agree with the above post. It is very important that all areas of an office or facility work together to be as efficient as possible. The physician, assistants, secretarys, billers, and coders all need a clear line of communication in order to run smoothly. If you think of it without prompt billing and coding actions there will be no pay for employees of any area of the office or facility. I would try to understand her position.

I can only speak for Medicare claims. You give Medicare 28 days for the claims to be paid or denied. Day 29 you better call and demand a response to the claims.

I understand where you all are coming from, but here is my plythe; I am the only coder/biller on site, the front office receptionist I am training to do some of the billing. Noow I am noticing, we are not getting the EOB's/RA's from the Manager (who is also the Practice Administrator) timely because she is not giving us copies of the checks along with the EOB's and we are short at least 2 FTE's....Help I am tired and this is getting bad.....

It sounds like a stressful situation, but there are things you can do as billing manager to get it in hand. You may not be able to meet the timelines, but keeping track of your productivity will give you a measureable way to show that you are making every effort.
If you are not using online resources, that should be a next step. If you are on CSnap, you can check your medicare claims and get duplicate EOBs. That will cut your wait time on Medicare claims and you can appeal or correct claims on that site instead of waiting for EOBs to see what needs correction.
You can also get online with the other payers so you have some control over knowing what is paid and when without having a "middleman" who is hampering your progress.