Wiki Billing pt responsibility

tcurtland

Best answers
Hi all I am new to the forums and have an issue that is bothering me that I hope you all can help with!

At our office we have been cleaning up a lot of old A/R, we still have denials being worked from late 2009.
My question to you all is this: How long is too long to bill a pt for their portion of the charges? I can't believe that it is okay for us to send a bill in July of 2011 that is from dates of service in 2009.
Patient copays and deductibles were not getting rolled from the primary (or even secondary) insurance in a timely manner and now one of our supervisers wants us to dump it all into patient responsibility. (the patient has received no statements from us until 2011)

and is there anything in writing stating how long is "past timely" for us to send a bill to a patient.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi all I am new to the forums and have an issue that is bothering me that I hope you all can help with!

At our office we have been cleaning up a lot of old A/R, we still have denials being worked from late 2009.
My question to you all is this: How long is too long to bill a pt for their portion of the charges? I can't believe that it is okay for us to send a bill in July of 2011 that is from dates of service in 2009.
Patient copays and deductibles were not getting rolled from the primary (or even secondary) insurance in a timely manner and now one of our supervisers wants us to dump it all into patient responsibility. (the patient has received no statements from us until 2011)

and is there anything in writing stating how long is "past timely" for us to send a bill to a patient.

Thanks for all your help!

I don't believe there's a time limit, but for the sake of good customer service, I probably wouldn't send a statement for a small balance you've been holding on to for 2 years, because someone dropped the ball on billing the patient. The supervisor should be prepared to handle the angry phone calls, at least. Check your contracts with the payers involved to make sure they don't have some kind of stipulation on when the patient has to be billed. Hope that helps! ;)