• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Bone Marrow Bx & Aspiration/same day/site

DanielleKiehl

Contributor
Best answers
How would this be coded (minus the supplies).

38220, 38221, G0364

or

G0364

There are no rules in the CPT book about them not being coded together, and i want to make sure we are doing this correctly.

Thanks a bunch!

epilcher

Contributor
Best answers
How would this be coded (minus the supplies).

38220, 38221, G0364

or

G0364

There are no rules in the CPT book about them not being coded together, and i want to make sure we are doing this correctly.

Thanks a bunch!
Bone Marrow + Aspiration is 38220 + 38221. G0364 is to be used in place of the 38220 for Medicare patients. When our pathologists do these we bill 38221+G0364. G0364 is a better code because it explains the situation better than 38220.

I hope this helps.

a_starra

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
NAB Member
Best answers
According to CodeEdge Mar. 07, when same site/same day, you can only use 38221. You may run into a problem with getting reimbursement for both procedures billed on the same encounter.

epilcher

Contributor
Best answers
Do you happen to have that article? The archives only go back to October 07.

Thanks!