Wiki brachial plexus injury r/t shoulder dystocia in an adult

dykline

Best answers
Hello,

I am having a hard time with this and would appreciate some help. Need ICD-10 codes for an adult patient who suffered a brachial plexus injury at birth r/t shoulder dystocia. Because the pt is now an adult, I'm struggling to find something appropriate and accurate. The order has O66.0, Shoulder dystocia (but the book says "Obstructed labor due to shoulder dystocia") and includes the following information "cervical spine brachial plexus damage secondary to shoulder dystocia at birth." This is the only information I have--new pt. The only brachial plexus birth injury code I found was for a newborn, P14.3. O66.0 is also a current complication code, so I don't think that's correct.
I've looked at S14.3XXS, Brachial plexus injury, sequelae--but then the encoder wants all the injury E-codes (possibly Y84.8, Other medical procedures as the cause of abnormal reaction of the patient, or of later complication, without mention of misadventure at the time of the procedure; or Y84.9, Medical procedure, unspecified as the cause of abnormal reaction of the patient, or of later complication, without mention of misadventure at the time of the procedure); but there's also O94, Sequelae of complication of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium--which gives me an edit in our encoder for sex conflict (male pt) and the guidelines say to report the complication first-the O66.0, which the encoder tells me is wrong due to pt age and sex and wants weeks of gestation; and the encoder also says you can't use O66.0 with O94.
I'm leaning toward S14.3XXS and O94 and forgetting about what the encoder is telling me.
:confused:
Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give.

Last edited:
P code is valid

conditions that have their origin in the fetal or perinatal period (before birth through the first 28 days after birth) even if morbidity occurs later

You can use a P code on an adult as long as the injury was caused in the fetal or perinatal period

ICD-10-CM Guideline I.C.16.a.1

1) Use of Chapter 16 Codes

Codes in this chapter are never for use on the maternal record.
Codes from Chapter 15, the obstetric chapter, are never
permitted on the newborn record. Chapter 16 codes may be
used throughout the life of the patient if the condition is still
present.