• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Brief Note!

jifnif

Expert
Best answers
I know that a lot of times we have to fish out info to pull together a note to meet a level but this one has me concerned if I am pulling too much:

nsg reports irregular heart beat
? ongoing issue and has had holter for same
seems irregular on auscultation to me as well
will check EKG now

our dr has chosen a 99231. that is all I have. my problem is that I am in a situation where I am to only data enter for this particular group. Sure that is all fine and good but w/in the early part of this year we will be coding from their documentation. These docs think this is okay documentation. Would anyone out there pass this as a 99231 (it is a subsequent visit inpatient)?

LLovett

True Blue
Best answers
Sadly, yes, I would code this as a 99231. I would like to see more but there is enough.

nsg reports irregular heart beat Chief Complaint
? ongoing issue and has had holter for same Context (sort of) (1 element of HPI)
seems irregular on auscultation 1 element of exam to me as well
will check EKG now at least 1 point in data

You have irregular heart beat for a dx which is going to be at least 2 points for established worsening or 4 points for new w/workup

So You have a problem focused history and exam with low to moderate MDM. Even if you drop history as the 1 element is not so great, you only need 2 of 3 so you can still support it with exam and MDM.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

jifnif

Expert
Best answers
Thanks, I knew it was limited and just barely making the stretch but it does make it. I guess my problem is this note is so brief and I would like to see better documentation. Our drs believe that as long as it makes it, why change the way it is documented! I think they could have done better. on the other end, it makes pt care seem brief to me as well. i wonder what the pt thought at the time?!