• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Buccal swab

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
buccal swab

I don't think there is a code for that is there? Wouldn't you just code the test you were doing the buccal swab for? Unfortunately, in the lab, a lot of the equipment/collection is inclusive to the test. I'm still looking but can't find it yet.

bankshot7

Best answers
Coding for Buccal Swab

I agree with Anna; the swab is part of the procedure coded. To generally research this I checked out a website for a lab (ViroMed). They have an online listing with their test codes but it also lists specimen requirements and the related CPT codes.

For example, if doing a Cystic Fibrosis Profile, specimen requirements are shown as 3-5 ml Whole Blood (EDTA or ACD) and 1 Buccal Swab. Then CPT codes are listed as 83890, 83894, 83901, 83912, 83896 x 25

(This is just a general indication to me; I don't have any expertise yet, but I hope this helps!)