Wiki Can a non-licensed psychologist bill while working under a supervising practitioner toward earning the required hours for the license?

SarahSee1114

Networker
Best answers
We have a Master's degree psychologist (washington dc) who is working towards their required number of hours to become licensed. Can that person bill for their time, or can the supervising provider bill for their time, as in Incident To rules? I'm finding conflicting information, some saying yes - this is Incident To, and others stating that no, this psychological practice experience is unpaid as a "student." Not sure I would call this person a student any longer, as has graduated at Master's level and working at that practicum type level. Any assistance, advice, or insight is appreciated!

The credential listed above is eligible for a "T", "TLLP" or "LL" licensure but required to practice under the direct supervision of a fully licensed provider.
However. each state and each payer have their own guidelines for supervision guidelines and claims submission. You will have to verify with your states licensing board for the credentials and with each payer as to which credentials they will accept.
Once the masters level provider accumulates their hours, they will drop the credentials I listed above and become fully licensed and not have to practice under direct supervision.