Can an Emergency Visit be billed if the patient is seen an RN....

Best answers
But consults with a physician on the phone or via secure face to face chat?

We are in the process of opening a free standing specialty OB/GYN Emergency room. The physicians are creating protocols for each situation. What I need to know, if the RN treats a patient for say a urinary tract infection or vaginal irritation, does a doctor need to be called into the ER and see the patient to bill an ER E/M code, or can the RN follow protocol and consult with a physician via a HIPAA compliant video chat, or phone call, and sign off on the plan and treatment verbally?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Not if it is not a hospital ER. The hospital may bill a facility visit for ER encounters of any kind, however the provider may not. If this is a free standing ER, then no an RN is not licensed to diagnose and treat a patient. If the provider does not see the patient face to face then the provider cannot bill for the encounter. You need to look into the state licensing requirements for a free standing ER. It is not as easy to establish as it may seem depending on the state. I worked for a company that tried to do this in a state and ultimately they had to have a physician staffed there 24hours a day to be able to call it an ER. Another state I worked in had a requirement that all ER designations be physically attached to a facility with 24 hour physician staffing. Your state may have some specific requirements as well.