Question Can I bill an initial IP visit for 2 providers of same specialty within 60 days?

mtsoldevila

Networker
Best answers
Provider A saw the patient on 5/20/22 and billed 99222. Patient was readmitted on 6/19 /2022, and another provider from the same group specialty did the consultation this time. Can I billed an initial code for this 2nd provider or a subsequent one?

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
Provider A saw the patient on 5/20/22 and billed 99222. Patient was readmitted on 6/19 /2022, and another provider from the same group specialty did the consultation this time. Can I billed an initial code for this 2nd provider or a subsequent one?
You should bill an initial visit for the first visit for each admission (assuming documentation supports it). There is no requirement for a specific amount of to elapse between initial visits. A new admission requires a full work-up by the provider, even if the patient happened to have just been discharged recently.

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
Thomas, what about the rule that you cant bill an initial visit twice within 60 days? Re admission is for the same dx.
What rule are you referring to? Are you speaking of the Medicare inpatient benefit period which starts again 60 days after discharge? That wouldn't affect physician coding, as far as I'm aware.

OpenClaims

Expert
Best answers
Yes, these were two separate initial visits handled by two separate physicians.