• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Cast application

Best answers
I'm wondering if we can bill for the cast application ( ex 29405) for an initial visit when there is no restorative treatment or fracture care performed or planned. Would this also qualify for when the docs see a patient for an ankle sprain, or pain and cast the pt?

I have read different views on this subject.

i keep going back to the cpt guidelines which states:

The listed procedures apply when the cast application or strapping is a replacement procedure OR when the the cast application is an initial service performed without a restorative treatment.

and:
if cast application is provided as an initial service ( eg casting of a aprained ankle or knee pain) in which no other procedure or treatment ( eg surgical repair or joint dislocation, fracture care) is performed or is expected by a phyisian rendering the initial care only, use the casting, strapping and or supply code in addition to em code as appropriate.

Im getting very confused.

here is my scenario:

dr sees patient for congenital diplegia and applies a short leg cast.

could i bill the E/M code, 29405 and the Q codes?

thanks!

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
I'm wondering if we can bill for the cast application ( ex 29405) for an initial visit when there is no restorative treatment or fracture care performed or planned. Would this also qualify for when the docs see a patient for an ankle sprain, or pain and cast the pt?

I have read different views on this subject.

i keep going back to the cpt guidelines which states:

The listed procedures apply when the cast application or strapping is a replacement procedure OR when the the cast application is an initial service performed without a restorative treatment.

and:
if cast application is provided as an initial service ( eg casting of a aprained ankle or knee pain) in which no other procedure or treatment ( eg surgical repair or joint dislocation, fracture care) is performed or is expected by a phyisian rendering the initial care only, use the casting, strapping and or supply code in addition to em code as appropriate.

Im getting very confused.

here is my scenario:

dr sees patient for congenital diplegia and applies a short leg cast.

could i bill the E/M code, 29405 and the Q codes?

thanks!
Yes you could capture the E/M, cast + supplies as long as you don't report the Global fracture code.

Best answers
Cast Application

Yes,
You would charge for the visit with modifier 25, 2xxxx (application of casting) and Q code (for the supply).