Wiki Causal relationship between HTN and CAD?

mhartley

New
Best answers
I'm looking for some help on if there is an presumed causal relationship between hypertension and CAD when selecting the appropriate diagnosis code. From my research, I have found that some say yes and some say no. If there is a causal relationship, can you please provide the documentation?

Thank you!
Missy Hartley, CPC, CPCD

Last edited:
Per Coding Guidelines:
The classification presumes a causal relationship between hypertension and heart involvement and between hypertension and kidney involvement, as the two conditions are linked by the term “with” in the Alphabetic Index. These conditions should be coded as related even in the absence of provider documentation explicitly linking them, unless the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated.
1) Hypertension with Heart Disease
Hypertension with heart conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4-I51.7, I51.89, I51.9, are assigned to a code from category I11, Hypertensive heart disease. Use additional code(s) from category I50, Heart failure, to identify the type(s) of heart failure in those patients with heart failure

This can be found in the coding guidelines for ICD-10 CM

Per Coding Guidelines:
The classification presumes a causal relationship between hypertension and heart involvement and between hypertension and kidney involvement, as the two conditions are linked by the term “with” in the Alphabetic Index. These conditions should be coded as related even in the absence of provider documentation explicitly linking them, unless the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated.
1) Hypertension with Heart Disease
Hypertension with heart conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4-I51.7, I51.89, I51.9, are assigned to a code from category I11, Hypertensive heart disease. Use additional code(s) from category I50, Heart failure, to identify the type(s) of heart failure in those patients with heart failure

This can be found in the coding guidelines for ICD-10 CM

Thank you! I should have also mentioned that I had been aware of these guidelines :) My concern is that I've seen outside documentation that said there was the relationship between the two, but I cannot seem to find any coding guidelines to support. I've seen some classification that says CAD is supported under heart disease. I want to make sure that I am doing thing correctly.