Cerebral Aneurysm Coiling

KRISTILEFT

Best answers
I have a neurosurgeon who does not currently do this procedure but is considering starting. CPT does not list the procedure by that name and I would like to know what codes are typically used for these cases. I have an idea of what I think it is but would like some input from other neurosurgery coders who frequently codes these. :D

MLS2

Best answers
61624 (75894): Transcatheter permanent occlusion or embolization (eg, for tumor destruction, to achieve hemostasis, to occlude a vascular malformation), percutaneous, any method; central nervous system (intracranial, spinal cord)

61626 (75894): Transcatheter permanent occlusion or embolization (eg, for tumor destruction, to achieve hemostasis, to occlude a vascular malformation), percutaneous, any method; non-central nervous system, head or neck (extracranial, brachiocephalic branch)

These would be from a percutaneous approach...are you doing an open (surgical) procedure?

KRISTILEFT

Best answers
He asked me to compile information on both. I really appreciate your help. My doctors tend to focus on certain procedures so I don't get exposure to some things that are within the realm of this specialty, which is frustrating.

MLS2

Best answers
The other area you might want to look at in case it would be an open surgery would be codes 61680 through 61711

hope this helps!:)