• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

charging Office visit at same time of wound repair

kimb

Best answers
I was wanting to know if it is legal to charge an office visit with a wound repair when the only diagnosis is for the wound repair

Thanks

Monika Liddle

Expert
Best answers
Remember that in order to report and E/M visit with a 25 modifier you need to have a significant, separately identifiable E/M service. Make sure your documentation support this.

Monika

Kris Cuddy

Guru
Best answers
I agree with Monika. Adding to that, I'd personally review the documentation, and if it's supported, bill an E/M with modifier 25 and the wound care.

Kris

kimb

Best answers
e/m with a repair

Thanks for the info. I understand about using the mod 25 with the e/m service, but what the doctor was wanting to do was charge an e/m with a simple repair 12001 and the only diagnosis we had was for the wound, so I didn't think it was right to charge the e/m.

Kind of confused

kim

Best answers
Same issues with simple repains and reporting e&m

I'm dealing with the same thing. I work in Urgent cares. A patient comes in and says they accidentally cut themselves. The doctor checks them over and all of that and decides they need a simple repair 12001. Would that call for an E&M and the repair code or is the E&M included in the simple repair code? Now if the patient complains of being dizzy, is that an automatic E&M? Does anyone have any good links that explains all the rules on this?