Wiki CLinical Psycologist Services Inpatient

Simi

New
Best answers
Hello,
Can a clinical psycologist render service in a general hospital for inpatient psycotheraphy services using CPT code 90816-90822. Does anyone have the answer on this? and does Medicare reimburse?:confused:

Yes, those codes were created so that psychologists and psychiatrists could represent their inpatient services. As for whether they are payable, certainly there is evidence to support that. The rates of payment or difficulty in getting a claim paid is not really known by me, though I'd imagine it can't be that bad. It also would depend heavily on the payer.

New to behavioral and Psych coding and wanted to ask if when billing cpt 96150 and the doctor says that he spent approx 60 minutes with the pt and goes on to list what he did how do I code that when the guidelines say 96150 is for each 15 minute face to face with the pt; initial assesment. Will I bill this code 1 time or more than once?

In that series of codes, you report the units. So, you divide the total time (in minutes) by 15 and that will give you the number of units to bill.

96150/ 90801

Hi pccoding,
Becareful to review the documentation before using 96150. This code is used if the patient has a physical condition that may turn into a mental condition. For example, the patient has chronic pain and develops depression because of it. And, correct, these are coded in 15 minute increments. You would report a total of 4 units.

Another code for an initial psychiatric interview examination is 90801. This code is not time based and includes pre-, during- and post work, such as (pre-) reviewing patient charts, documentation from a referring physicion, (during-) getting a complete patient history, mental status exam, assessment & plan, and lastly (post-) documentation of the report.

The coders desk reference may give a little more detail then the CPT book, but the CPT book covers the basics. Read over the beginning before code 90801 and before 96150.

Hope this helps.

Barbara