Wiki Codes 90846 and 90847 – Family psychotherapy

Love Coding!

Expert
Best answers
Codes 90846 and 90847 – Family psychotherapy

If there are siblings that are both patients to the provider. They are both seen the same day and at the same time, same provider, same session. Could 90846/90847 be billed for each sibling? As long as there is separate documentation for each sibling?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, happy Friday :)

Under no circumstances should a therapist bill two patients for one session (excluding 90853 - group therapy, of course).

From “Navigating the Insurance Maze,” by Barbara Griswold:

How is a couples or family session listed on a claim?
Choose one client as your identified patient – if two or more clients have diagnoses, you might choose the one with the more severe symptoms. If one client is the primary holder of their insurance you might choose him/her.

When I see a couple, can I bill each of their insurance plans for a couples session, or bill each for an individual session?
Not unless you want to risk losing your license. This is insurance fraud, as you are charging twice for the same session.

Under no circumstances should a therapist bill two patients for one session (excluding 90853 - group therapy, of course).

From “Navigating the Insurance Maze,” by Barbara Griswold:

How is a couples or family session listed on a claim?
Choose one client as your identified patient – if two or more clients have diagnoses, you might choose the one with the more severe symptoms. If one client is the primary holder of their insurance you might choose him/her.

When I see a couple, can I bill each of their insurance plans for a couples session, or bill each for an individual session?
Not unless you want to risk losing your license. This is insurance fraud, as you are charging twice for the same session.

Thank you Skymom, I am not too familiar with these code and I am so glad I asked. Much appreciated! :)

Thank you Skymom, I am not too familiar with these code and I am so glad I asked. Much appreciated! :)
I have a situation where a married couple see two different therapists in the same office individually and then they have a "family session" with both providers present. Can each therapist bill their client for a 90847 or is this double dipping?