Wiki Coding Books

only if they don't want up to date, correct coding! It's silly to use OLD books, there's a reason why they're updated! Claims will be denied with incorrect codes - payment will become an issue! Why wouldn't they supply new books?
I worked at one place that claimed their "budget" only allowed for so many books, so we had to share between us BUT we also had an Encoder - so sharing wasn't such an issue. We basically only used the books when we wanted to read "hard copy" .

Does your provider provide and Encoder (such as 3M - Meditech or others)rather than books?

No they dont provide encoder. They expect me to perform chart audits and have everything updated but they are not providing me with updated books. They said it was silly to purchase new books every year. Should I purchase my own set of books? I had never had to do this before. I have 6 months into this new employer and this is the first time I hear of it being "silly" to purchase updated coding books! I feel as it is my responsibility to provide up to date and correct information as a certified coder. :confused:

every facility I've worked at whether coding or other things has ALWAYS provided updated "tools" to do the job right!

Does your employer actually want you to code with incorrect codes? crazy! In my opinion THEY should supply the books/encoder and whatever tools you need to do your job correctly.

Remind them that the codes change yearly! Are they not going to update when we move to ICD-10 either?