Wiki Coding Cardiothoracic help

Chelsea1

Guru
Best answers
Need help coding Cardiothoracic. New to this area!!! I code caths, EP, etc... but will be soon coding Cardiothoracic.
Can anyone please direct me to obtaining some information on coding this area of cardiac please.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Thank You

I was new to this area also about 3 years ago. I reached out locally for sources and to see if I could job shadow a CT surgery coder. Dr. Z has a CT surgery resource that is helpful and I would advise to at least get this.

Hi Chelsea, I really found it helpful to use the Optum 360 coding companion book to start with. It gives descriptions of the actual procedures with coding tips and appropriate ICD10's to use. I also have a good relationship with my surgeon. I can query him if I need to. He's very good at explaining the actual procedure.

If you have the opportunity to meet with yours, if you don't work in the same office, I would definitely do so. It might be a little intimidating at first, but I promise it WILL get better. They will come to realize that you're trying to code to the best of your ability and you are "on their side" sort of speaking.

Hope this helps!
D. Vance, CPC, CCVTC