• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Coding Closed Treatment Of A Fracture

chrislyn1977

Networker
Best answers
Hi all,
Well I thought I had my stuff together on coding closed tx of fractures, but you know how it goes..one question asked and then you're questioning yourself. Here goes...

I have a physician who consulted with a patient in the hospital. He determined that the patient had a distal supracondylar fracture. He treated this non-operatively with a padded knee immobilizer. Can he bill the 27501 (closed treatment without manipulation)? The reason I question myself is because all he did was order a knee orthosis that will be fit and supplied for by the hospital.

If this same situation happended in our office where we do supply the DME could I bill the 27501?

I guess to sum it up can we bill for a closed TX of a fracture code when the doctor only ordered DME?

As always thanks for your help?

Treetoad

Expert
Best answers
Unless the provider intended to see the patient in follow-up, I would be hard pressed to charge fracture care. I would charge the consultation only--provided the documentation supported it.