Wiki coding for dx + NEC or NOS

hcg

Guru
Best answers
I do try to find the right codes but there are so many missing! For instance, especially when a patient has a significant illness in the past that I want listed on chart (in case it recurs but sx may be more subtle) such as: Hx of pancreatitis, hx of kidney stones, hx of benign small bowel tumors, etc. etc.

So if I use an NOS or even NEC code, it will not be for billing purposes but "for the record"...even then, most of those codes are pretty nonspecific and are just a general red flag for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

Thank you.

I do try to find the right codes but there are so many missing! For instance, especially when a patient has a significant illness in the past that I want listed on chart (in case it recurs but sx may be more subtle) such as: Hx of pancreatitis, hx of kidney stones, hx of benign small bowel tumors, etc. etc.

So if I use an NOS or even NEC code, it will not be for billing purposes but "for the record"...even then, most of those codes are pretty nonspecific and are just a general red flag for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

Thank you.

NOS = Not Otherwise Specified & “Unspecified”: Use these when you don't have enough information to select a more specific code.
NEC = Not Elsewhere Classified & “Other”: Use these when you have specific information, but there's not a code listed for it.

 NOS = “I don't have enough information to be sure”
 NEC = “There's not a better code”

If you're not reporting it for payment, then it's nothing to lose sleep over. Hope that helps! ;)