• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

coding for dx + NEC or NOS

hcg

Guru
Best answers
I do try to find the right codes but there are so many missing! For instance, especially when a patient has a significant illness in the past that I want listed on chart (in case it recurs but sx may be more subtle) such as: Hx of pancreatitis, hx of kidney stones, hx of benign small bowel tumors, etc. etc.

So if I use an NOS or even NEC code, it will not be for billing purposes but "for the record"...even then, most of those codes are pretty nonspecific and are just a general red flag for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

Thank you.

btadlock1

Best answers
I do try to find the right codes but there are so many missing! For instance, especially when a patient has a significant illness in the past that I want listed on chart (in case it recurs but sx may be more subtle) such as: Hx of pancreatitis, hx of kidney stones, hx of benign small bowel tumors, etc. etc.

So if I use an NOS or even NEC code, it will not be for billing purposes but "for the record"...even then, most of those codes are pretty nonspecific and are just a general red flag for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

Thank you.
NOS = Not Otherwise Specified & “Unspecified”: Use these when you don't have enough information to select a more specific code.
NEC = Not Elsewhere Classified & “Other”: Use these when you have specific information, but there's not a code listed for it.

 NOS = “I don't have enough information to be sure”
 NEC = “There's not a better code”

If you're not reporting it for payment, then it's nothing to lose sleep over. Hope that helps! ;)