Wiki Coding help - hypertension with cardiomegaly

Sherlynn

Best answers
I need clarification on coding "essential hypertension with cardiomegaly". I'm a student and the codes I have are 401.9 for the hypertension and 429.3 for the cardiomegaly. Is this correct or is it 401.9 for hypertension and 402.9 for cardiomegaly? When I reference to check, 402.9 has wording that states hypertensive heart disease without heart failure unspecified. 429.3 states cardiomegaly and excludes that "due to hypertension". Our study guide does not state due to hypertension. It just states "essential hypertension with cardiomegaly". Thanks for any clarrificarion.

I need clarification on coding "essential hypertension with cardiomegaly". I'm a student and the codes I have are 401.9 for the hypertension and 429.3 for the cardiomegaly. Is this correct or is it 401.9 for hypertension and 402.9 for cardiomegaly? When I reference to check, 402.9 has wording that states hypertensive heart disease without heart failure unspecified. 429.3 states cardiomegaly and excludes that "due to hypertension". Our study guide does not state due to hypertension. It just states "essential hypertension with cardiomegaly". Thanks for any clarrificarion.

Your code selection is correct. You would only use 402.9X if the physician indicates the patient has hypertensive heart disease; essential hypertenstion would not be indicative of 402.9X.