Wiki Coding Help!!!

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
I am new to colorectal coding and have a doc that does some big procedures. I really need an outlet that will give me some sound coding info (gastro website??) for me to bring to my doc if and when I need to tell him what's billable or not: An example is:

This is a complex procedure with multiple tumor excision, etc. I wouldn't know where to start if finding proper coding guidelines for how to bill or not to bill (i.e. separate incision, size of tumor, pathology, etc.). Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

My first suggestion would be to contact your local AAPC chapter and see if you can find some experienced general surgery/GI coders in your area. They should be able to give you the assistance that you need and share tips regarding local coverage issues common to NY practices.

My other thought is to have your employer get you a subscription to a good coding software (Ingenix Encoder Pro for example). You want something that can check your coding against the CCI and bundling edits and alert you when code combinations are not billable, etc. Having the right tools is very important when coding complex surgeries.

Also find out if your surgeon is a member of any specialty societies (American College of Surgeons, etc.). Many of these organizations offer coding assistance to their members as a part of the annual membership cost.

Good luck.