• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Colonoscopy coding -

Hopp

Guru
Best answers
Hi Im new to the profession and would like to get some help with coding: My doc performed the following: Colonoscopy to the cecum, hot bx & fulg. colonic polyp midascending colon, snare polypectomy of chronic polyp prox.rectum & cold bx & polypectomy chronic polyp distal rectum Thanks in advance for your help!

Best answers
Hi Im new to the profession and would like to get some help with coding: My doc performed the following: Colonoscopy to the cecum, hot bx & fulg. colonic polyp midascending colon, /snare polypectomy of chronic polyp prox.rectum /& cold bx & polypectomy chronic polyp distal rectum Thanks in advance for your help!
It sounds as if there were three interventions and based on that interpretation: one polyp in the midascending colon was addressed with two techniques, but only one code per lesion can be billed, so bill according to CCI instruction: 45384

Another lesion in the proximal rectum was snared: 45385

And a polyp in the distal rectum was addressed with cold biopsy and (snare?) polypectomy; again only one technique and 45385 was already billed above: 45380

Then apply your CCI edits indicating each technique was applied to different lesions and your billing would be: 45383, 45385-59, 45380-59.

Hopp

Guru
Best answers
RE:CCI Edits

How do you understand the CCI edits? Which code to apply the modifiers? Please help and by any chance is there a book that is available. Thanks for any help. and for helping with the coding.

I thought the codes would be 45385,45384 -59 and 45383-59 ? Im Confused

Last edited:
Best answers
I would review CMS's CCI page at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/NCCIEP/list.asp, go to the Overview section and download the NCCI Policy Manual for Medicare Services. See Chapter 6 for Digestive Services. THen I would look at the actual edits which appear on two tables under NCCI Edits - Physicians and review the surgery digestive system chapter. Finally, I would review the CMS document with instructions on the proper use of 59 modifier at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/Downloads/modifier59.pdf

I know this seems complicated, but it's vital to know how to use the CCI. There is software you can buy that will check edits for you, but it's still a good idea to know the CCI rules.