• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Consults with-in multi specialty group


North Andover, MA
Best answers
Can anyone help with this.

We are a multi specialty group of orthopaedic surgons. We now have a new physician, credentialed as a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist.
Our spine Dr. referred a pt to our new Dr. physical medicine/pain specialist.
Our new Dr. wants to bill a consult. First time seeing this pt can he? Also is physical medicine and rehabilitation considered a sub-specialty?

Thank you for any help or advice.
Milwaukee WI
Best answers
Referral vs request for consult

Is Physicial Medicain / Pain Specialist a recognized subspecialty?

If Dr Spine is referring the patient (i.e. transfer of care) to Dr PM/PS then the patient is an ESTABLISHED patient (assuming they all bill under same tax ID)

If Dr Spine is asking Dr PM/PS for his opinion on how to manage patient, then it might be a consult.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC