• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Correct APC coding

liz

New
Best answers
When pricing for a procedure with multiple APC codes, do you add them all together or does Medicare only pay for the highest one?

Example: SCS implant 63685 (APC 5464) and 63650 (APC 5462)

You would code 63650, 63685-51, APC 5462 and APC 5464, right? or just 5464

Thanks, Liz

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
Both of these APCs are status J1 which is a comprehensive rate. The reimbursement for the case will be the rate for the highest of the two; in this example it will be the rate for APC 5464 if both codes are submitted. But APC payments are solely a methodology for reimbursement and should not have any bearing on how you code for services - the codes submitted should be based on the procedures that were documented, not based on how Medicare is going to calculate their payment. The fact that 63650 does not get a separate or additional payment does not mean that it should be omitted from the claim. If both codes were performed, then both need to be reported.

Last edited:

liz

New
Best answers
SCS coding

Thanks for your help. That's what I thought. Can you tell me if I was correct in adding the modifier 51. Should it be added to 63650 or 63085? With a 2 lead SCS, I'm thinking it should be 63650, 63650-59 and 63685-51.