Question CPC-A Job Searching

nialak29

New
Best answers
Hello,

I graduated in December with my Medical Coding and Billing certificate. I passed my CPC exam in February. It has been a long time and I cannot get my foot in the door with a job. I have no real experience other than education. I volunteered for 1 week at a hospital in the coding department from one of my coding courses. How do I land a coding/billing job? What is the best way to get my foot in the door knowing most require many years of experience? Any tips on a resume since I have no coding/billing experience?

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
Best advice, don't quit. Keep trying to get your foot in the door. It's been my experience that if someone is looking for an experienced coder it's usually because the coding position is in or with a difficult physician or clinic. Trust me, in these situations a very strong willed and experienced coder is needed. Not the place for a CPC-A. Don't quit!

kayleeevans907

Contributor
Best answers
While it doesn't hurt to look for coding jobs specifically be open to other hospital/clinic jobs. I started out as a financial rep. who took patient payments, helped with payment plans, etc., moved into a data entry position and then a certified coder position. This is the preferred way of hiring in my clinic so that coders have knowledge of "the other side" of billing and insurance and I find a lot of the information I learned in my previous positions in the clinic to be useful in my job as a coder. Best of luck in your job search :)