Question CPC-A looking for job opportunities?

nialak29

New
Best answers
I am a recent graduate who has passed the CPC exam. Currently a CPC-A looking for there first entry level job. Even if I have to start in a smaller healthcare position to work my way up or the chances of finding an employer who is willing to take an entry level with educational experience. I have interned at a hospital in the medical coding department as it was required. I did get some hands on experience under direct supervision, but it was only for one week. Recently, I have had a couple interviews but I never heard back from them within the same week. My coding professor has helped me land a few interviews and she is a good source of help. However, I have had no luck with any applications for a few months and interviews. What should I do? Do I do an externship? How would it work with an externship and a job? How can I land my first entry level job? I am not sure what path I should take at this point. I am trying every option based on what I have researched trying to start a coding career, getting my foot in the door.

Best answers
Apply for facility inpatient and outpatient coding positions as well as physician based office practices. Many healthcare systems own physician based medical groups and your resume may be passed on to the appropriate department and/or you could be hired and trained for a facility based coding position. Additional tips: Take the initiative and call the organization where you interviewed, one week from your interview, if you haven’t heard from them. It shows your initiative and interest. Review your resume. Companies use software to filter through resumes and if yours isn’t formatted to hit the “key” or “target” words for a position it can be passed over. An entry level professional written resume is worth considering. Don’t forget to network at chapter meetings, seminars, anywhere that you can. Many careers are started this way. FYI - all of these tips helped land me my first coding position and I’m going strong 7 1/2 years on.

Best answers
I am a recent graduate who has passed the CPC exam. Currently a CPC-A looking for there first entry level job. Even if I have to start in a smaller healthcare position to work my way up or the chances of finding an employer who is willing to take an entry level with educational experience. I have interned at a hospital in the medical coding department as it was required. I did get some hands on experience under direct supervision, but it was only for one week. Recently, I have had a couple interviews but I never heard back from them within the same week. My coding professor has helped me land a few interviews and she is a good source of help. However, I have had no luck with any applications for a few months and interviews. What should I do? Do I do an externship? How would it work with an externship and a job? How can I land my first entry level job? I am not sure what path I should take at this point. I am trying every option based on what I have researched trying to start a coding career, getting my foot in the door.
Congrats with passing your exam. You might want to seek out a 1 month apprenticeship, but keep interviewing, you will land that first position.

Best answers
Hey, I am in the same boat as you. I passed CCS from Ahima, and I applied for a job. They called me and said that they require CPC from AAPC, so I took this exam here, got my CPC-A, and still no job. They selected a candidate with experience. I am located in California, and no able to find a job as a coder :(