True Blue
Best answers

JOANNE M. DUMAS
140 Pine Cone Lane
Hinsdale, MA 01235
e-mail: joannemdumas@gmail.com
Tel: 413-655-4050
Cell: 413-464-5423
OBJECTIVE: To be chosen to take the BETA EXAM following the CDEI learning program.
  • AAPC CDEI Representative:
    Hello and I am applying for the BETA EXAM given at the end of my studies of your CDEI program which I have downloaded unto Bookshelf and am excited to begin studying this weekend.
    Respectfully, I would like to be considered as an examinee for the CDEI BETA EXAM.
    I am now currently employed coding E & M office visits as a CPC, Certified Professional Coder, and determining ICD-10 and CPT codes in an Ear, Nose, and Throat practice. I have been working at Berkshire Ear, Nose and Throat for almost 2 years. Before that I worked for East Mountain Medical Associates/Internal Medicine for 4 years. In this setting of Internal Medicine/Primary Care, I worked at home remotely and have coded and billed thousands of E & M office notes successfully and accurately and in a timely fashion.

I have also earned certification as a CDEO, Certified Documentation Expert-Outpatient in 2017, which focused on correct provider documentation in office visits. I have also earned a CEMC certification as a Certified Evaluation and Management Coder in 2018. In addition to my CPC, CDEO, CEMC, I recently acquired my CPB with 86%.

I have some familiarity with inpatient PCS coding and would like to learn more. I studied for the CIC exam but my second attempt was a 69% unfortunately.
    All of these exams were sponsored by the American Academy of Professional Coders, in which I am currently a member.

I have conducted meetings with our Providers at East Mountain Medical Associates with instructions and suggestions for maintaining excellent documentation and adhering to existing and changing guidelines as recommended by CMS and insurance companies. More recently, I have instructed the physicians and physicians' assistants in coding E&M's at the Ear, Nose, and Throat practice where I currently work according to 2021 new guidelines which focus on MDM. I also code all the inpatient, observation, and ER consults which our providers make when on call at the nearby medical center. I also do all the otolaryngology surgery coding and I do all the billing for the above as well.

I have several years of experience working with Meditech, Next Gen, and Intergy medical software I am a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) who has experience coding surgeries in the Ear, Nose, and Throat specialties. I have also coded 15 to 20 general surgeries while at Advanced Specialty. I spent 8-12 months coding Oncology office visits (E & M’s) at New Milford Hospital.

I have graduated from Briarwood College with a certificate in Medical Coding
    . I have over 10 years experience in the Medical Records’ field at different hospitals. I am a member of AAPC. I have a Medical Coding Certificate and have completed Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology, and Health Information Management classes at Briarwood College.
  • EXPERIENCE: I am now currently employed coding E & M office visits as a CPC, Certified Professional Coder, and determining ICD-10 and CPT codes in an Ear, Nose, and Throat practice. I have been working at Berkshire Ear, Nose and Throat for almost 2 years.
  • Formerly employed entering charges at an Internal Medicine practice in Massachusetts. Started in April, 2015 and have moved to ENT in February of 2020. I also perform auditing of Evaluation and Management (E & M) office visits with 98 % accuracy and speed depending on physician and complexity and length of visit. Assist in advising physicians on CPT and ICD10-10 coding for billing purposes.
  • I have conducted meetings with our Providers at East Mountain Medical Associates with instructions and suggestions for maintaining excellent documentation and adhering to existing and changing guidelines as recommended by CMS and insurance companies.
  • Formerly worked in Oncology in Connecticut doing E & M office visits. After this job ended, worked coding Ear, Nose, and Throat surgeries and Outpatient Office Visits from September of 2007 until April of 2008. Became a Certified Nurse Assistant and worked in that capacity from September of 2008 until March of 2015. Am looking to do remote coding from home of Evaluation and Management Office Visits. Also have 7 months experience in Ear, Nose, and Throat Coding plus plus almost 2 years at Berkshire Ear, Nose, and Throat since February of 2020.

LICENSING: I passed my Certified Professional Coder (CPC) for the first time in May 21, 2005 and kept it active by completing CEU’s until 2010.
I successfully retook and passed my CPC exam in May of 2016. I have expertise in billing ICD-10 codes since July of 2015. I trained for 3 months on ICD10 prior to the October changeover.
I am also credentialed as a CDEO since November 2017 (Certified Documentation Expert-Outpatient,) and CEMC since June 2018 (Certified E & M Coder)
On September 11 of this year I passed the CPB exam with 86%. (Certified Professional Biller)

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Completed course in ICD-9-CM, and CPT coding
Skilled in Microsoft Word, familiar with medical transcription, Power Point, and Excel
Excellent organizational and communication skills
Respect for patient confidentiality, flexibility, and a willingness to further my medical coding education in order to enhance job performance
Successfully finished an Evaluation and Management Workshop at Yale New Haven Hospital instructed by Ellen McGuire.

EDUCATION:
Certificate/Health Information Coding December/ 2001
Briarwood College, Southington, CT

RELATED COURSES:
Health Information 1 and 2 Anatomy /Physiology/with lab
Medical Terminology Pathophysiology
Administrative Medical Assisting with Lab Topics in Health Care Law

INTERNSHIP:
Bradley Memorial Hospital, Southington, CT
Fall/2001
Medical Record Department
Assisted in all aspects of Health Information maintenance.

Hospital for Special Care, New Britain, CT Fall/2001
Admitting Clerk
Observed coding on inpatient records in the Medical Records Department and observed the Outpatient Department.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

East Mountain Medical Associates April/2015 November 15, 2019
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
Medical Biller/Coder

Formerly employed and entering charges for outpatient internal medicine practice. Includes E & M leveling of office visits and CPT and ICD-10 assignment.

Advanced Specialty Care, Danbury, CT September 2007/April 2008
Medical Coder
Performed CPT and ICD-9 coding for Ear, nose, and throat surgeries. Have also done some general surgeries. Worked with NextGen software and followed up with insurance denials.

New Milford Hospital, Regional Cancer Center
September 2003/July 2007
Health Information Management Oncology Coordinator
Perform chart analysis, retrieval, support physicians and nursing staff while assisting the compliance auditor in assurance of physician documentation practices. Supervise a volunteer, while overseeing the chart conversion procedures and generate reports on the Meditech computer system. Pulled pathology, labs, scans, and MD notes off Meditech to prepare records for patient care. Also carried out Record Release and learned E & M coding.

Veterans’ Memorial Medical Center, (Mid-State Medical Center), Meriden, CT 1990/1997
Medical Records Technician.

Processed inquiries for doctors and other caregivers regarding client diagnostic conditions, data entered report editing for Quality Assurance Department and performed abstracting functions to assist the coders.

Farmington School Systems, Farmington, CT
October 2001/June 2003
Substitute Teacher
Assumed all responsibilities for an absent teacher for grades 1 through 12. Implemented all daily lesson plans, organized all individual and group activities.

Litchfield, Harwinton-Burlington, and Farmington school systems, CT 1997/June 2003
Substitute Teacher

ADDITIONAL EDUCATION:
Bachelor of Arts/English/Political Science June 1989
Central Connecticut State University, New Britain, CT
Recommended for the Honor’s course at CCSU and the writing center as an instructor.
Graduated with a 3.58 grade point average. Have taken four graduate classes in English literature.

Sincerely, Joanne Dumas

Last edited: