CPC for every Practice???

flmoore

Best answers
I am certified through the National Healthcareer Association. I am a member of the AAPC, and will be taking the exam in June. Can anyone tell me when that law goes into effect that says there has to be a Certified coder in every practice? And, do you have to be certified through the AAPC or can you be certified through the NHA?:confused:

flmoore

Best answers
I graduated in Nov of 08, and one of the Instructers told us that it would soon be required by law that every practice have a certified coder. I'm assuming she knows what she is talking about; mabe not.

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
I thought that was the case for years already!? It was my understanding that if the facility is a Medicare provider then they must have at least one certified coder in their coding department (if they have one) or where-ever their coding is being done.

ARCPC9491

True Blue
Best answers
I think it's mandatory for facilities - but not physician practices yet.

But I also know that Medicare processors, or contractors, (supposively) require certified coders.

flmoore

Best answers
I got an e-mail from one of the Officials at the AAPC and He said it was not a law. I have noticed though, that potential employers want certified coders.
Thanks for the input.

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
cpc

As I said, I haven't heard of it being a law, but our facility does require us to be certified within a year of employment. Not by law, but by their own request. I will have our compliance department check on this and see what they can find out. Interesting concept though!!!

Best answers
About law for certification

The Medicare Modernization Act that went into effect last year states -strongly urges all coders doing Medicare/Medicaid coding/billing be either AAPC or AHIMA certified. If you email me I can send a copy of the act.
Judy Houston, CPC, CPT
hstnjdth@yahoo.com