Question CPCO exam help

Woakes73

New
Best answers
Hi, I'm going to be sitting to take my CPCO pretty soon. Would anyone have any good ways or idea's how you may have prepared for this exam and what exactly we can take in to the exam?

sab001

Networker
Best answers
Hi, I'm going to be sitting to take my CPCO pretty soon. Would anyone have any good ways or idea's how you may have prepared for this exam and what exactly we can take in to the exam?
Please visit https://www.aapc.com/certification/cpco.aspx#tab-2 for a list of approved references you can use during the examination.

When I took my CPCO exam, I placed all documents in a large binder, neatly organized by dividers.
Anything and everything in the binder must be published. You may not include published study guides, practice exams, or published references by HCCA.

In addition to the link above, also print and place the following in your binder:
https://www.aapc.com/training/cpco-medical-compliance-resources.aspx
Print anything and everything. Keep it neat.

Now... how to pass...

I highly recommend that you know the OIG Compliance Program guidance inside and out. Prepare as if you are about to teach the material to a college class with you being the professor.

This is not an easy test. You need to know the material.

Some will approach you offering a course to you. These are fine and may help.

Best of luck to you!

SB

Woakes73

New
Best answers
Please visit https://www.aapc.com/certification/cpco.aspx#tab-2 for a list of approved references you can use during the examination.

When I took my CPCO exam, I placed all documents in a large binder, neatly organized by dividers.
Anything and everything in the binder must be published. You may not include published study guides, practice exams, or published references by HCCA.

In addition to the link above, also print and place the following in your binder:
https://www.aapc.com/training/cpco-medical-compliance-resources.aspx
Print anything and everything. Keep it neat.

Now... how to pass...

I highly recommend that you know the OIG Compliance Program guidance inside and out. Prepare as if you are about to teach the material to a college class with you being the professor.

This is not an easy test. You need to know the material.

Some will approach you offering a course to you. These are fine and may help.

Best of luck to you!

SB
Hi,

I just completed the CPCO course through the AAPC a few months ago.

I've printed the compliance programs out from the OIG website, highlighted and my hand written notes and organized them in a binder.

I will definitely keep reading the programs!

Thank you so much!

Wendy

jrnichols

New
Best answers
Hi,
I just took the CPCO exam on March 27th. @sab001 are you stating that we are allowed to bring in a binder with all the resources that are tied/linked to the online training? I thought we could only take into the exam the reference book and or the Individual, small practice, Hospital, Hospital supplemental, and the third party compliance CFR? I only brought the stated allowed information that is under the approved materials and would have loved to have all the resources printed and in a binder!
As for the exam- yes study as you are preparing slides or going to present a compliance program and read each question carefully. I finished with an hour left on the clock but did not get to review all my questions I wanted to double check.

sls314

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi,
I just took the CPCO exam on March 27th. @sab001 are you stating that we are allowed to bring in a binder with all the resources that are tied/linked to the online training? I thought we could only take into the exam the reference book and or the Individual, small practice, Hospital, Hospital supplemental, and the third party compliance CFR? I only brought the stated allowed information that is under the approved materials and would have loved to have all the resources printed and in a binder!
As for the exam- yes study as you are preparing slides or going to present a compliance program and read each question carefully. I finished with an hour left on the clock but did not get to review all my questions I wanted to double check.

This is what is allowed during the exam. I think this may be what the person mentioned that she printed and put into a binder:

cpco.JPG

The above screenshot is from this part of the AAPC website: https://www.aapc.com/certification/cpco.aspx#tab-2

(I have not taken the CPCO exam, but I have proctored it.)

jrnichols

New
Best answers
Hi Susan, Thank you for clarifying!! Those references are the exact items that I thought were approved and what I took in for my exam. I would have been disappointed if I didn't take everything that was approved and missed an opportunity.

Best answers
I just took and passed the CPCO exam in April. It was tough but I finished with an hour plus to spare. I will tell you that I read, and re-read the OIG Guidance recommended. I was able to find most every question in that material other than PPACA. I also purchased and took in the Physician's Compliance Manual - not much help. Flash cards were a big help as well. Quizlet has a nice set already set up for CPCO. Just read, read and re-read the OIG Guidance. Be able to locate the subject matter quickly in the guidance because the test may not follow the same order, mine didn't.

jld26501

New
Best answers
Hi,

I just completed the CPCO course through the AAPC a few months ago.

I've printed the compliance programs out from the OIG website, highlighted and my hand written notes and organized them in a binder.

I will definitely keep reading the programs!

Thank you so much!

Wendy
Hi Wendy. I am to the part of the CPCO course through AAPC where you take the practice exam and I have myself so worked up I just can't bring myself to take it. Do you have any tips? Is it really as bad as I am imagining? I would appreciate any advice you could provide. I am not sure why I am so nervous over this one.

amfrancis

New
Best answers
Hi Wendy. I am to the part of the CPCO course through AAPC where you take the practice exam and I have myself so worked up I just can't bring myself to take it. Do you have any tips? Is it really as bad as I am imagining? I would appreciate any advice you could provide. I am not sure why I am so nervous over this one.
Hi there, I took the class last year, the practice exam and the credentialing exam in December and passed on the first try. My advice is to purchase the practice guide AAPC offers as it already has the OIG information included that you are allowed to use on the exam. Take notes on what you need to remember. If you take deep breaths and walk into the exam knowing that you are prepared, that is half the battle. AAPC does a really good job preparing a person for the exam itself. You have totally got this :)

amfrancis

New
Best answers
Hi all, I took the CPCO AAPC class last year and the exam in December and passed. The AAPC course really helps walk through what you will need to know. Take all of the quizzes and the practice exam that is offered. I also purchased the Physician's Compliance Manual and found it very helpful and great to take notes in. It already has the OIG information you need in there - highlight and underline what you think you need to remember. I used up to the last 10 minutes to complete the exam - I felt that the questions were pretty straight forward though, I am just slow. Skip the questions you don't know right away and come back to them to continue the momentum moving through the exam. The time allotted goes a lot faster than I thought it would. You'll do great - deep breaths and walk in feeling confident in all of the hard work you put into studying :)

sls314

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I was told by the AAPC Rep that sold me the compliance certification program that the final exam is online. Is this not true?

If you're taking the online course, the exams for the course are online. That part is correct.

However, the final exam for the course isn't the certification exam. It's just the exam for the course.

The actual certification exam is in person. You will need to register for a date and location near you when you feel like you're ready to take the certification exam itself.