Cpt 60271

Herr14

New
Best answers
Hello,
I am uncertain whether CPT 60271 is for a total thyroidectomy, partial, or total unilateral?? It does not allow a mod.50 or LT/RT. However, a 59 modifier is allowed if billed with 60220-of course with proper documenation. That does not make sense to me. Any thoughts?

elenax

Expert
Best answers
Not my area of expertise but the Coding Expert version indicates that the 60271 is for subtotal or partail thyroidetomy.

hope this helps:)

Best answers
Depending on the approach ( and without an operative note, I can give no certain advise) but, you could either use 60240 or 60271 depending on if cervical approach.

Nigist

New
Best answers
On CPT Book page 335, when you looks up under on code 60240,there is a note says (for thyroidectomy ,subtotal or partial, use 60271). hope you know it is not for total.

elsaee87

New
Best answers
If you use 3M HDM, and enter Lobectomy>Thyroid>Substernal, Partial>Cervical it takes you to 60271. It also does the same thing if you enter Thyroidectomy. So it seems it can be used for both? You can't put a RT or LT or 50 on it - so that means they don't want you to indicate that either. It is listed under 60270 TOTAL but its a total where there's only remnant tissue (on both sides). So now I think you can use it for unilateral/lobectomy or Total - both sides.

As of 2019 CPT, they still list the blurb "For thyroidectomy, subtotal or partial, use 60271" under 60240 so I guess we can go with that as well. If you add modifier 52 to 60271, the RVU's are lower than 60220 lobectomy so I wouldn't do that either.

Last edited: