• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

cpt code 11046 and multiple units

Best answers
Hello
I am receiving a denial from Medicare stating that I am billing too many units of cpt add on code 11046. The debridements were all to the same depth and covered a surface area of 21cm x 12cm. I billed 11043 1 unit and 11046 12 units. The denial is stating I cannot bill 12 units of 11046. Medicare will not tell me how many units I can bill. The MUEs do not address this code.
Help please
thanks
John

espressoguy

Expert
Best answers
Medicare will deny greater than 4 total units (11043, 11046x3) as medically unlikely. However, assuming your documentation supports it, it will be paid on appeal.