• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

CPT code for exloration of fistula

Janie751

Best answers
Can anyone help me with the correct CPT code to use for transperineal exploration of a rectourethral fistula?

The other procedures are:
Cystourethroscopy (I am using 52000) and Urethroplasty (53410) with a diagnosis of 599.1.

There was another surgeon who did a procedure after this and is using 45505.

I have just started coding surgeries for a urologist, so I would appreciate any help, including any resources you might suggest that would be helpful.

Last edited:

Janie751

Best answers
Yes, he does repair the fistula. I could not find the code 46470, could this be a deleted code? Thank you for responding.

Janie751

Best answers
I had to look up "imperforate" to see what it means. This does not apply in this case because it said having no opening or lacking the usual and normal opening. I have been looking at code 53415 and thinking it might be better than using 53410. After looking at detailed information about this code, I am wondering if it might include the exploration. Thank you again for responding and I welcome any other suggestions you might have.

Best answers
22 modifier

This is NOT my area of expertise, but ...
Have you considered adding the [22] modifier to 53410 (or 53415) to indicate the additional work of the exploration/repair of the fistula? You would also increase your fee. Be prepared to attached supporting documentation, and possible to appeal for additional reimbursement.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC

Janie751

Best answers
I did not think about using the modifier. I will do some more research and see if that might work. Thank you for taking the time to respond.