Wiki CPT for laparoscopic removal of mass of vaginal apex, post hysterectomy

LaurieRB

New
Best answers
Hello,

Our OB/GYN provider needs a CPT code for the above procedure. The procedure has not yet been performed. The code is needed for prior authorization for insurance. I keep getting directed to code 57135, vaginal cyst excision, but this is not laparoscopic. Does anyone have any ideas on how to capture this procedure? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laurie

I do not believe there is a code for laparoscopic removal of a vaginal mass.
The closest I would consider are:
49321 Laparoscopy, surgical; with biopsy (single or multiple)
58662 Laparoscopy, surgical; with fulguration or excision of lesions of the ovary, pelvic viscera, or peritoneal surface by any method
If neither of those seem quite right based on what is planned, then you would use unlisted.
In a situation like this, I usually incorporate my clinician as my clinical knowledge is not strong enough to definitely state 58662. Google tells me "The pelvic viscera include the urinary bladder, distal end of the ureters, rectum, and reproductive organs." By that definition, since the mass in on a reproductive organ, I could call this 58662 laparoscopy with excision of lesion of pelvic viscera. But again, I would confirm with clinician that the vaginal apex is part of the pelvic viscera.