Cpt for smell test

suszielynn

Best answers
Does anyone know what the new code (if any) is for a smell test? The test is very simple...just requires that a patient can identify a strong odor compared to water. The CPT 2007 had a temporary code for it but there is not one in the 2008 CPT.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Best answers
response to CPT for smell test

how about 92512?
Does anyone know what the new code (if any) is for a smell test? The test is very simple...just requires that a patient can identify a strong odor compared to water. The CPT 2007 had a temporary code for it but there is not one in the 2008 CPT.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Candice_Fenildo

True Blue
Best answers
Hi, all

I have a little resistance using 92512. In the 2008 ENT coding companian it states that 92512 is used for analyzing nasal resistance during breathing.

Not quite sure that would fall under a smell test?????

elenax

Expert
Best answers
Below if the description for the cpt code 92512. I don't think it fits the smell test...I'm inclined to use the unlisted code. I would also attach the doc report with the claim.

"Nasal function studies are performed for analyzing nasal resistance during breathing. In rhinomanometry, the physician uses a tubular probe to generate and transmit an audible sound signal into the patient's nasal cavity through an anatomically fitted nosepiece. A microphone picks up the sound from the nasal cavity and the data is analyzed by computer to determine area distance in the nasal cavity."