• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

CPT Trimming Plantar Warts

mcwiningham

Best answers
Medicare will not accept 11055 with 078.12 for my doc's trimming of a plantar wart. Which CPT should I use? Thanks.

dclark7

True Blue
Best answers
Who is your Medicare carrier? Check their website for an LCD. Medicare does not cover routine foot care and this is considered routine, unless the pateint meets very specific guidelines. In CT our MAC is NGS and their LCD is L26426. Thie LCD will give you the circumstances when this would be covered.

Best answers
Try 17110 this is for Destruction (eg, laser surgery, electrosurgery, cryosurgery, chemosurgery, surgical curettement), of benign lesions other than skin tags or cutaneous vascular proliferative lesions; up to 14 lesions.
Diagnosis code 078.12 is usually a covered code for this procedure.

I do not believe that 11055 is appropriate for a wart removal as CPT gives the example of corns and calluses for this code.

mcwiningham

Best answers
Cpt 11305-6

Thanks. I ckd the Ne Medicare website and they want 11305 Shaving of Epidermal or Dermal Lesion, Feet.

mcwiningham

Best answers
Thanks, again.

I'm going to use the 17110 as you suggest. 11306 seems like overkill even though that is what is indicated on the website.