• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Critical Access Hospital E/M coding

Sunnycat

Best answers
Hello- I'm looking for information on Critical Access Hospitals billing for E/M codes. A patient is seen in the ER and an ER E/M is billed on the UB form. Is the code subject to being included in services that have a global period (surgical services) much like the physician claim if services are billed on a 1500 form? CAH services are paid a little differently and I have seen some ER E/M services billed with a 25 modifier which makes me suspect that the E/M could be bundled into a surgical service or something with a global period. Finding specific information or guidance on this has been an issue. Any thoughts are much appreciated!