• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Cryoablation of Common Warts

mbdk1977

Networker
Best answers
I've been in a discussion with my boss about the coding of cyroablation of common warts. Now the patient has two warts to be treated on the shoulder area. When i read code 17000 the part that sticks out the most is the statement that it is the destruction of "premalignant" lesions. Am I incorrect in my understanding that a wart is not a premalignant lesion. I personally would code this with 17110. Your thoughts?

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
I would code the 17110 (benign) as well. I only use the 17000 for pre-maglignant. I believe it was in 2008 that the code was revised (17110). I use 17000 for actinic keratoses/pre-malignant.

if you read under the 17003 code - it says, "for destruction of common warts, see 17110 / 17111"

mbdk1977

Networker
Best answers
Hi Donna! Thank you for pointing out that note, I must have read over it.

I would code the 17110 (benign) as well. I only use the 17000 for pre-maglignant. I believe it was in 2008 that the code was revised (17110). I use 17000 for actinic keratoses/pre-malignant.

if you read under the 17003 code - it says, "for destruction of common warts, see 17110 / 17111"