Wiki date missing from pt's document

megha

Networker
Best answers
Hello
i have question, i am biller and i want to know if physician forget to put date on pt's note, is it right for to ask him to put date after he sign that note. is there specific medicare guidelines that say that it is okay to go back to physician for write the date of service on pt's note. thanks
:confused:

dictate addendum

I would have the provider dictate an addendum, attesting to the the provenance of the undated note and the actual date of the encounter. I believe this would serve as the "attestation statement" the MAC's were instructed to accept for missing signatures, etc.
Here is the sample we found:
“I__[full name of the physician/practitioner]___, hereby attest that the medical record entry for __[Date of Service]__ accurately reflects notations that I made in my capacity as __[insert provider credentials, e.g., M.D.]__when I treated/diagnosed the above listed beneficiary. I do hereby attest that this information is true, accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge and I understand that any falsification, omission or concealment of material fact may subject me to administrative, civil or criminal liability.”