Wiki Deb Hughes

Arneson1

New
Best answers
I am stumped on this one. Patient had a remote hemiarthroplasty of the hip, femoral component only. Now has suffered a fracture of the distal femur. Surgeon exchanges the femoral component for one with a shorter stem, then repairs the distal femur fracture. What code do I use for the exchange of the femoral component? I find lots of codes for total hip but the acetabulum has not been "touched" on this patient. Hope you can help.

Deb, did you look under revisions? Since there was an implant there already and the surgeon replaces it, it codes to a revision.

-Bruce

I did look under revisions but all of the revision codes talk about total arthroplasty. Either revision to a total arthroplasty or revision of single component in a total arthroplasty. Thanks for trying.

Deb

Why was the original hemi placed for arthritis/neoplasm/necrosis or fx? Which initial CPT code did you use?
27236?.....fx or 27125 for arthritis/neo/necro; I would use whichever your initial sx was with a -22 and note revision on the descriptor.