Wiki Define "counseling" for 90460 ???

purplescarf23

Networker
Best answers
Hi my fellow coders and I would like some insight on the CPT 90460. We understand how to use this correctly but are unsure what constitutes as "counseling". What must be documented in the chart? Does the doctor have to specify that it is "counseling" or can they use smart phrases?? Any help with defining what constitutes as counseling would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has any websites that would lead my group to a better definition of this. Thank you.

Kelsey, CPC

This is a great question. The physician must document in that chart that he counseled the patient or parents on the particular vaccination with the risks and/or benefits of the vaccine. Its doesn't have to be wordy, just incorporate the risk vs benefits and its documented and signed by the physician. ie. Most physicians counsel patients on HPV injection along with several others.. Hope this helps.

I was in a webinar that talked about the counseling required for 90460 & 90461. They said the same thing that Theresa said. As long as the doctor talks to the parent(s) about the immunization regarding the risks and/or benefits and documents at least one sentence in patient's chart that counseling was provided, these codes can be used up to the age of 18.