Great explanation, Machelle. We can all argue the points back and forth, but I think that those of us 'in the know' in this industry will continue with our ICD-10 conversion plans as scheduled.
I've been doing this long enough to know that HHS (and CMS) are masters with murky guidance. Until I see something cast in concrete with regard to a date different than 10/1/13, I'll continue with our current plan. I don't have time to fret and speculate about what "might" happen.
Besides, if we believe the Mayan calendar rumor, none of us are going to have to worry about it! LOL! See....problem solved!
I have not heard anything from CMS about it being delayed yet. I have been checking their website everyday.