Wiki Diabetic shoes

Kirstyn20

Networker
Best answers
We have been billing diabetic shoes and inserts as A5500-KX (2 units), and A5513-KX (6 units). Apparently, now DMERC wants us to add LT and RT modifiers to these. I am just curious on how everyone is doing this.
With the shoes, we bill one A5500 with two units to show 2 shoes. Can we put LT and RT on the same line, or do we need to start doing A5500-KX-LT and A5500-KX-RT (one unit each).
With the inserts, I think it is going to be more hectic. We dispense 3 pairs, or 6 inserts total. How would you do this with the LT and RT modifiers?! Would you do A5513-KX-LT (3 units) and A5513-KX-RT (3 units)?

Thanks in advance for any input!!

You can post it all on the same line. DMERC has been requiring this for awhile on some braces. I bill the modifiers as follows KX LT RT then the appropriate number of units.

Thank you! I wasn't sure if i could put the LT and RT on the same line. Sounds like I will just do it the same, but just add the LT and RT.:)

ON a Noridian webinar earlier this year we were warn that the RT/LT modifiers were going to be required as part of a LCD update.

This requirement is not on the LCD for any of the four regions, as of yet. But, the requirement is listed on the corresponding article for each region and goes on to state that claims billed without them will be rejected as 'incorrect coding'.