• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Diag.Laparoscopy/Laparotomy

Hopp

Guru
Best answers
Hi everyone! Please help with the following? Doc performs a diagnostic laparoscopy and encounters bowel problems adhesions. He now does decompresses and does a laparotomy, lysis of adhesions and an incidental appendectomy (Path:normal appendix). Would I code the lysis of adhesions?
Thanks in advance for helping with this? In addition he did a biopsy of a messenteric nodule - I don't think I can bill this as stated in the CPT book - separate procedure am I correct?

Last edited:

amitjoshi4

Guru
Best answers
49000 is the code to be used here. In performing Laparotomy, lysis of adhesions is inclusive.

Thank You

Treetoad

Expert
Best answers
I agree with Melissa. If adhesiolysis is performed, it's no longer an exploratory laparotomy.

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
I also agree with Melissa and Treetoad - If adhesiolysis is performed, it's no longer an exploratory laparotomy.
Donna

Best answers
Hi everyone! Please help with the following? Doc performs a diagnostic laparoscopy and encounters bowel problems adhesions. He now does decompresses and does a laparotomy, lysis of adhesions and an incidental appendectomy (Path:normal appendix). Would I code the lysis of adhesions?
Thanks in advance for helping with this? In addition he did a biopsy of a messenteric nodule - I don't think I can bill this as stated in the CPT book - separate procedure am I correct?
I would definitely agree, 44005 would be the way to go. If the patient has an obstruction secondary to adhesions (such as a SBO) I would use ICD-9 code 560.81 "adhesions, intestine, with obstruction". An exploratory lap does not include LOA.

viborges

Best answers
Need code

CODING FOR EXPLORATORY LAPAROSCOPY FOLLOWED BY LAPAROTOMY, LYSIS OF ADHESION'SQJhx54&$Q3qSMJ5 AND REPAIR OF GASTRIC PERFORATION.
Anyone know the code for this, doctor says to use 43840 with dx of 8630 and mod 79(this is a return)
thanks

surgonc87

Guru
Best answers
CODING FOR EXPLORATORY LAPAROSCOPY FOLLOWED BY LAPAROTOMY, LYSIS OF ADHESION'SQJhx54&$Q3qSMJ5 AND REPAIR OF GASTRIC PERFORATION.
Anyone know the code for this, doctor says to use 43840 with dx of 8630 and mod 79(this is a return)
thanks
If the perforation was ensued by the LOA, then its a no go. Just report the LOA in that case. Otherwise if exploration was done, and perforation was there as a result of something else, the code 43840 by all means.