Wiki Diagnosis for aftercare visit after I&D of infected wound after a1 pulley release

Best answers
CC: Postop wound check LT index finger
Patient had a1 pulley release for trigger finger and developed an infection at the incision site, so had I&D of the infected incision wound. Now comes in for aftercare of the infected incision wound 5 days after the I&D and no longer has signs of infection.

Diagnosis: Z48.817 aftercare following surgery on skin and subcu tissue? Or would I code the original infection following the original procedure as T81.4XXS sequela since the original infection was a sequela of the original surgery a1 pulley release? I thought normally we don't code aftercare codes with injury codes - it's one or the other. So would it just be the T code and not the aftercare code? But the patient is being seen for aftercare of the 2nd surgery I&D and not the first surgery a1 pulley release, or are these one and the same in this case? So confusing and thanks for any advice!

The I&D should have been coded as T81.4XXA (Infection following a procedure, initial encounter) and follow up visits should be coded as T81.4XXD for subsequent encounter. Per the ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, injury codes are used with the appropriate 7th character for subsequent encounter.