Wiki Do i have to provide salary on job interview ?

cpccoder2008

True Blue
Best answers
Not sure where i should post this but this seems right, On most interviews they will ask what is your current pay and then tell you what their starting pay is. My question is do you have to tell them how much you currently make ?

I am never sure how to do this myself, it seems that you can price yourself out of a opportunity because you currently make more than they are willing to pay or you curretly make so much less which will affect what could potentially be a big pay increase for you. I read recently on yahoo that one strategy is to put the salary you would like to make as the pay you have received for every past and present position. I am not sure how I feel about that but thought I would pass it on.

I completly agree with you. Based on my expirence i should make more than my current salary but i am afaid to give my current salary because i don't want them to think i am desperate for a raise therefore would accept any offer. I have a friend who works in Human Resource for a medical company and she says she has never had another company call to verify current salary. They may call for a refference but never ask about current salary. So when asked the question in the interview what should you say ? I have an interview with a company that the starting pay is a few dollars more than i make and if i am asked the question i thought he best answer would be " My current pay is less than the starting pay here but as you can see in my resume based on my knowledge and expirence i feel that $X.XX dollars an hour or more would be the most appropriate salary "

I think your answer is right on the money (ok no pun intended there!). This should communicate that if you were paid what you are worth you would not go looking for another job.

Do I have to provide salary on job interview

You don't have to worry about your current job verifying what you tell a potential employer you currently make. Legally, all they can do is verify dates of employment and whether you are eligible for re-hire.

I was reading this thread and I remembered that my current employer verified my compensation with my previous employers. I do believe this was done when she called my professional references, and not the HR dept directly but I do know that it was done. One of my previos directors whith whom I am still aquainted with called just to let me know that it was asked. I think that must have been allowed since I gave them as a reference. Just an FYI

thats not right?

I was reading this thread and I remembered that my current employer verified my compensation with my previous employers. I do believe this was done when she called my professional references, and not the HR dept directly but I do know that it was done. One of my previos directors whith whom I am still aquainted with called just to let me know that it was asked. I think that must have been allowed since I gave them as a reference. Just an FYI

Your previous director should not have given out that information? I know I would be very upset if that happened to me. A potential employer is not allowed to ask that question. I'd say thats why they didn't ask the HR dept if someone slipped up and told them, not all people know the rules about this...

Thanks so much for the info. :)

I really thought it was permissible because I used them as my professional references. I know that it hurt me, I am very much underpaid (like many people right now) and knowing how much I had made at pervious jobs PRE-CODING was a large factor. The fact that they know I need more experience in general practice was another.

Employers can verify your salary history. In fact, misstating your salary history on your application or resume can be grounds for dismissal. Thaey can ask for this information from previous employers and previous employers can give it to them (although many have policies in place that say they will only verify employment dates). It's better to not offer salary history unless asked for it specifically. If it was not on an employment application but you are asked in an interview, the best answer is "I can't accept less than..." In most cases, the salary history question is just on the application because "it's always been there." Still, always answer every question and answer them as honestly as possible.