Wiki Documentation question

mdm58

Networker
Best answers
can I code a procedure using DX that may be indicated with in the pt's chart by other Drs but was not used as an indication for a procedure on my Drs OP NOTE

Thanks

That was the answer I gave my administrator after an A/R person changed my DXs..

How could she even possibly think this was correct or allowed? The provider that performed the procedure may also have an issue with this. This is not a game of pick and choose.

Pathology report?

The only time this might be done is when you have removed a lesion and must wait for pathology report before coding. In that case the surgeon who removed the lesion might not have specified "carcinoma" while the pathologist report would give a definitive diagnosis.

Other than that example, I can't think of any case where you would change a Dx code to reflect what a different physician had documented.

That being said ... I recently had a near miss. The doctor's operative note listed a diagnosis of choriocarcinoma. When looking at other documentation I noted that all other reports listed chorioangioma. I queried the provider ... turns out it was a transcription error (I listened to the dictation and he had clearly stated chorioANGIOMA)! Good thing I asked before I coded - and the provider DID correct the documentation.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC