Wiki Dx code for depo shot for other than contraception or menstrual disorder

RadioFlyer80

Contributor
Best answers
I came across a patient that receives the depo shot. She is a developmentally delayed woman who has a past history of being assualted. As a result of the assualt, she now becomes violent when she starts her mentrual cycle. She now receives the depo shot in order to stop or supress her cycle. What would be the appropriate dx code in this situation. She does not get the shots for contraception and she does not have a menstrual disorder. This seems in my opinion more psychological. Any ideas?

DD client

Based on information in your description her diagnosis would most likely be PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) 309.81 according to Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) which is what we use at our mental health center.

Her developmental disorder could greatly exacerbate the traumatic event depending on her level of understanding.

Thanks! That never even crossed my mind. It sounds like exactly the dx code I am looking for. I just hope that her insurance (Medicare) doesn't reject it due to it being a mental health code. Guess I will see what happens. Thanks for your help!