DX code for elevated lipids?

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
What DX code do you use for elevated lipids. The ICD9 lists "Lipase" but I don't know if this is the same as "Lipids". Thank you coders. One day soon I'll be able to "Pay it Forward" and answer other coders questions !

lrcroom

New
Best answers
DX code for elevated lipids

In my opinion I would use code 272.8. The medical dictionary instructs you to see: fat; lipoprotein. LRM

007CPC

Banned
Best answers
Try to remember creativity is the key to quickly arrive at the appropriate code

Good morning,

Coding scenarios without a final diagnosis can be frustrating. But, I agree with Irmckinney. You can find the code that properly reports your scenario by looking up the “main term: ‘Findings” in Volume 2 of the ICD-9 manual. Precisely: Finds, abnormal, without diagnosis; locate the subterm lipids and see what code most accurately identifies your case.

Lisa Bledsoe

True Blue
Best answers
What DX code do you use for elevated lipids. The ICD9 lists "Lipase" but I don't know if this is the same as "Lipids". Thank you coders. One day soon I'll be able to "Pay it Forward" and answer other coders questions !
Lipase is an enzyme, lipids (lipoids) are fat. If the patient does not have the diagnosis of hyperlipidemia, then perhaps 272.8 or 272.9 would be appropriate.

LaSeille

Best answers
elevated lipids

I would use code 272.9 (since you don't state a specific disorder of the lipoid metabolism). If you have further documentation, then use the appropriate code in the 272.x range.

LaSeille Willard, CPC