Wiki DX code for elevated lipids?

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
What DX code do you use for elevated lipids. The ICD9 lists "Lipase" but I don't know if this is the same as "Lipids". Thank you coders. One day soon I'll be able to "Pay it Forward" and answer other coders questions !

DX code for elevated lipids

In my opinion I would use code 272.8. The medical dictionary instructs you to see: fat; lipoprotein. LRM

Try to remember creativity is the key to quickly arrive at the appropriate code

Good morning,

Coding scenarios without a final diagnosis can be frustrating. But, I agree with Irmckinney. You can find the code that properly reports your scenario by looking up the “main term: ‘Findings” in Volume 2 of the ICD-9 manual. Precisely: Finds, abnormal, without diagnosis; locate the subterm lipids and see what code most accurately identifies your case.

What DX code do you use for elevated lipids. The ICD9 lists "Lipase" but I don't know if this is the same as "Lipids". Thank you coders. One day soon I'll be able to "Pay it Forward" and answer other coders questions !

Lipase is an enzyme, lipids (lipoids) are fat. If the patient does not have the diagnosis of hyperlipidemia, then perhaps 272.8 or 272.9 would be appropriate.

elevated lipids

I would use code 272.9 (since you don't state a specific disorder of the lipoid metabolism). If you have further documentation, then use the appropriate code in the 272.x range.

LaSeille Willard, CPC