• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

DX code help please for fungal dermatitis

ChristieH

Best answers
I am coding for infectious disease doc and he wrote fungal dematitis on the superbill. What DX code would you use? I do not have the note back from transcription yet, so don't have any further description or sxs. I was considering using 117.8 or 111.8; leaning more toward the latter. Thanks for your input.

Christie

mmrbns81

Best answers
Hello Christie,

I am new to this coding just got finished with my course and I looked at 111.9 fungus, under Dermatitis category. This is in the 2012 ICD-9-CM Expert for Physicians Manua Volumes 1 & 2, which I just ordered. Is there another type of manual for 2012, because I had had the 2010 ICD-9-CM for Hospitals-Volumes 1,2, and 3. I just wondered if I did not order the wrong manual? Or I would query the physician on this code?

Mary Robinson

j-fowler57

Guru
Best answers
I came up with 111.9 unspecified as well. If you can wait for further documentation that would be better to get a more specific code.

KaylaR2007

Contributor
Best answers
Dx code 111.9 is probably a legitimte dx code to use. However, I feel that code category 690 pertains to fungal dermatitis too. For example, Dx 690.10 seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a fungus and elevated blood sugar. It depends on how specific your documentation is.