• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

E/M during operation

Best answers
My doc was called into exploratory surgery after the primary surgeon noticed blood in the patients catheter fearing he might have nicked the bladder. My doc tried to bill a consult code and the surgery. I informed his that not enough was documented (no ROS or Exam patient was under anesthesia) to bill for an E/M code. He is SURE that there has to be a E/M code we can use when he is called for a emergent surgery. Does anybody know of a code I could use!
Thank you,
Kristin

Best answers
I think just surgery

I think he'll probably have to be satisfied with just the surgical charge. With no exam the only possible codes (using the 2 of 3 requirement) are subsequent hospital visit: 99231-99233 (depending on documentation, of course).

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M